Mexican Rice

I have been trying to make this along side chicken fajitas for three straight weeks now. Something has come up every time, and it just kept getting pushed back to the next week. I'm grateful I was finally able to make this meal! The rice was very easy to make and wasn't mushy like other rice recipes I have tried. Next time, I think I will add a little more cumin (I only used 1 tsp.) and maybe some chili pepper. This is a great weeknight side!

Mexican Rice

1 cup rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1/2 cup cilantro (I omitted because I didn't have any in the house)
1 Tsp. - 1 Tbsp. cumin (adjust to your tastes)
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Add rice, chicken broth, butter and 1/4 tsp. salt to stock pot. Bring rice to a boil over high heat, stir once, and cover. Simmer on low for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and keep covered for 5-10 minutes longer. (Don't remove the lid during cooking; this makes the rice gummy.)

Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat, and saute onions for 10 minutes, or until just about brown. Add garlic to the pan, and cook for one minute. Stir in tomato paste and cumin, and cook for one more minute.

Mix in cooked rice, lime juice and cilantro, and season to taste.

Source: adapted from Home Sick Texan

0 comments: